Days 20 - August 30, 2009

Miles Traveled:

Notable Stops: Left Teslin, drove to Watson Lake, doubled back then arrived at Boyal Lake Provincial Park

Daily High:

Daily Low:

Notable weather: Clear and beautiful


Today the weather was clear and beautiful. The drive was pleasant. However, I woke up feeling like I was getting a chest cold.


Watson Lake


Today we left Teslin and drove to Watson Lake to see the sign post forest. Before seeing the forest we ate lunch and went grocery shopping. Food and drinks are expensive in the Yukon. A little hand basket (not even a cart) of groceries cost about $50! I’ll never look at $5 per pound stake the same again. After shopping in Alaska and the Yukon $5 per pound for stakes seams like a screaming deal.


After seeing the sign post forest we doubled back and headed to Boya Lake Provincial Park.


Matt Gets Challenged


Somewhere along the way we stopped for gas and looked around in the gift shop. Of course everyone asked questions about the car and took pictures while we were there. On our way out of the store an old freckled guy with two canes and a heavy accent told Matt he wanted to see Matt crank start the car. Matt told the guy, “It has a starter. I don’t have to crank start it anymore.”


The guy responded, “Arrr…chicken shit.”


I told Matt, “Dear, you’ve just been challenged.”

With that Matt said, “Ok, watch this,” as he put the crank in the two o’clock position and gave it one swift push with his foot. The car started right up and sat in the parking lot idling.


The guy drawled, “Well f@#&,” and hobbled over to the car to inspect what type of engine was making such a healthy sound.


“Well, alright. What ya got in that?” the guy inquired. This lead to a brief conversation between the guy and Matt about the car. Then we drove off.


The Cassiar Highway


A while after doubling back from Watson Lake we turned off on the Cassiar Highway toward Boya Lake. Matt and I were both very impressed with how beautiful the Cassiar Highway is. The road was a bit rough at first but that made Matt happy. (He’s been complaining about how smooth and void of gravel the roads have been.) After the few miles of rough road the road smoothed out as it meandered through the trees, wild flowers and mountains. There was hardly any traffic on the road. There was also no paint on the road. We could not figure out how anyone could feel the Cassiar is not an absolutely beautiful highway.


Boya Lake


Originally we were going the stay the night at Good Hope Lake (actually the shop at Jade City since there isn’t camping in Good Hope Lake) but when we got on the ferry in Haines Mark and Chantal (the sled dog people) told us what a beautiful place Boya Lake is. They recommended we stay there.


So, we took their recommendation and stayed at Boya Lake Provincial Park.


As we were driving around the campground looking for the best campsite a man waving his arms at us greeted us. We stopped. I was hoping he was the person we were supposed to pay for our campsite. Instead the man told us that he and his wife got on the ferry with us in Bellingham, they also took the ferry with us to Whittier and they’ve seen us many times since then. The man asked if he could take a picture of our rig and us. We of course told him he could. We then spoke to the man for a while longer before we resumed our search for the perfect campsite.


Shortly after we found our campsite the camp host pulled up to sign us in. We also purchased a bundle of firewood from her, rented a canoe and told her the sled dog people sent us. (She knew exactly who the sled dog people were.)


We were impressed with how beautiful Boya Lake is. The clarity of its aqua green water is amazing. However, when we discovered the price of the campsite was only $15, the bundle of wood was $5 and delivered to our site and the canoe rental was only $20 we could not believe what a great deal we were getting.


After setting camp, Matt and I selected our canoe and began paddling around the lake. We paddled out to two beaver dams and even “played” with a beaver. The beaver was swimming around in front of our canoe. We decided we would try to get a little closer to take a picture. When we got just close enough for a decent picture the beaver slapped his tail on the water then dove under the water, only to re-surface several yards further in front of us. We did this a few times then the beaver had enough of playing our game and swam off very fast.


We returned the canoe to the boat ramp just before dark then went back to camp to eat dinner, roast marshmallows and go to sleep.


We really enjoyed Boya Lake and recommend anyone passing through the area at least stop and play in the lake.


Speedster on Bridge Leaving Teslin Speedster on Bridge Leaving Teslin
Matt Tightening Headlight on Speedster Typical Crowd that Gathers Around Car Every Time Car Slows Down
Matt and Jess in Signpost Forest in Watson Lake Matt in Signpost Forest in Watson Lake
Cool Town Sign in Signpost Forest - Cool is a town near where we live. Speedster and Teardrop in Front of Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake
Speedster and Teardrop at Campsite in Boya Lake Boya Lake as Seen from the Canoe 
Matt in Canoe in Boya Lake Boya Lake as Seen from the Canoe 
Beaver Dam on Boya Lake as Seen from the Canoe  Speedster and Teardrop at Camp as Seen from Canoe on Boya Lake
Boya Lake as Seen from the Canoe  Night Shot of Jess and Matt by Campfire at Boya Lake
Alaska 2009

Home My Digital Scrapbook